Monday, July 18, 2011

Doggy Momma

Three days ago on July 14, 2011, our puppy was born! Unfortunately, we were not there to see it, and we actually have to wait several more weeks until we are allowed to visit. Trey and I have been anticipating the arrival of this puppy since the middle of February, which I recently realized has been like waiting for the arrival of a human baby - without the whole pregnancy bit. 

So here's the story behind our puppy...

Trey has always been a lover of dogs.
Trey and his family's golden retriever, Cohen

I, as you may have noticed, am a cat person. Imogen is my sweet baby girl and the love of my life (besides Trey, of course). I got my first cat when I was in elementary school, as a reward for reaching my Accelerated Reader goal. My mom provided great motivation, right? Since then, I've had a couple cats (R.I.P. Morgan - my sweet baby boy, before Imogen). I have a true connection with them and love their presence. 



Fortunately, Trey has grown to love Imogen (and cats) as well, even though he grew up with only dogs. He has been such a wonderful cat daddy to her, so I knew when we got married that I would need to cater to his desire to have a pup. Don't get me wrong, I love all animals. I just don't like being slobbered on...or being knocked over when I walk in the door...or listening to really loud barking in my house. I guess I'm my own little princess (like Imogen) in that way. I know you're thinking, "This girl is crazy! She's getting a dog and she doesn't like all the things that dogs do!", but I know that once I have this dog of my own to take care of and protect, I will care for him no matter what. And hopefully he will be the most wonderful dog in the world, who with proper training, will not slobber excessively, knock me over when I walk in the door, or bark loudly every time a person walks by our house. (I have high expectations). 

Moving on with the story...we moved into our home this past January and about a month later, Trey began talking about getting a pup. Naturally, he had been talking about it since we got married, but we both agreed that having a dog in our small, two-bedroom apartment would have been miserable (plus we'd be breaking the rules). We decided on a male yellow lab (I've always thought they are beautiful and usually well-behaved: a must for me!) and Trey began his research of breeders. He found one that we both agreed on and who was expecting the lady pup to go into heat at any time (this was February). Every week after we made our decision, we would check in to see the progress. It wasn't until May that she finally went into heat (delaying our plan a bit) and got pregnant with her baby pups. So as you can see, we have been patiently awaiting the arrival of our puppy for quite awhile. 
The cutest lab puppies!


All we know as of now is that he was born three days ago - and we are hoping for pictures soon. We know he will be absolutely adorable (aren't all puppies?) and it kills us having to wait about eight weeks till we can take him home. However, we are busy getting ourselves ready for his arrival (just like with a baby), with the biggest project being the building of a fence in the backyard. So, yes, there is lots to do!


I am very much ready to be a doggy mom and know this will prepare me to be a real mom, as I continue to be a madre in waiting.

xo,




No comments:

Post a Comment